The New York Times announces
..."Mr. Salinger’s literary representative, Harold Ober Associates,
announced the death, saying it was of natural causes."
By all accounts (much of them written over the last few days) ol' JD was a bit of curmudgeonly fart, who was beginning to get under the skin of many living in his community. The Catcher in the Rye has been variously described as wonderful, equivalent to my first orgasm, over-rated by many and even as a "silly book" by the reclusive author. I have never read the book, or even other JDS works so I can not comment.
New person at the Friday gathering, young, enthusiastic, smart (as in educated), professes to be interested in imagery in preference to text as a means of disseminating information, at least for other people's consumption who are probably not as young, enthusiastic or smart (as in educated). Quite possibly a product of a modern degree course from a modern, unspecified university - Dudley Port perhaps?
Lace turned up. No conversation, I was pre-occupied with the cold and she was equally preoccupied with the Lockyer.
No comments:
Post a Comment